Which Digital Personal Assistant Is the Smartest?
Last updated May 1, 2018 — This page now contains the 2018 update to our Digital Personal Assistants accuracy study. In this new edition of the study, we tested 4,942 queries on five different devices:
- Cortana Invoke
- Google Assistant on Google Home
- Google Assistant on a Smartphone
In today’s study, I’ll compare the accuracy of each of these personal assistants in answering informational questions. In addition, I’ll show how these results have changed from last year’s edition of this study, which was published on April 27, 2017. You can see this version of the study here.
For those of you who want the TL;DR report, here it is:
- Google Assistant still answers the most questions and has the highest percentage answered fully and correctly.
- Cortana has the second highest percentage of questions answered fully and correctly.
- Alexa has made the biggest year-over-year gains, answering 2.7 times more questions than in last year’s study.
- Every competing personal assistant made significant progress in closing the gap with Google.
What is a Digital Personal Assistant?
A digital personal assistant is a software-based service that resides in the cloud, designed to help end users complete tasks online. These tasks include answering questions, managing their schedules, home control, playing music, and much more. Sometimes called personal digital assistants, or just personal assistants, the leading examples in the market are Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Siri (from Apple), and Microsoft’s Cortana.
Do People Ask Questions of Digital Personal Assistants?
Before we dig into our results, it’s fair to ask whether or not getting answers to questions is a primary use for devices like Google Home, Amazon Echo, etc. As it turns out, a recent survey by Comscore showed asking general questions as the number one use for such devices!